Every penny you donate helps towards our conservation work, but what exactly do we do with it?
Here are last years highlights that were made possible by our supporters kind donations;
- Launched a major report at the House of Commons, Landscape-scale conservation of butterflies and moths: lessons from the UK.
- Published The State of Britain’s Larger Moths 2013, which showed the continuing decline of this important group of insects.
- Started several new landscape conservation initiatives, including Morecambe Bay Nature Improvement Area, Reconnecting the Wyre, restoring the Large Blue to the Cotswolds, Pearl-bordered Fritillary on the Morecambe Bay Limestones, Silver-studded Blue on the Ipswich Heaths, Betony Case-bearer in the West Weald, and Wood White in Northamptonshire.
- Ran a Farmland Butterfly Initiative funded by Natural England, aimed at saving highly threatened grassland butterflies.
- Extended our reserve at Caeau Ffos Fach in south Wales, helping to secure an important population of the European threatened Marsh Fritillary.
- Started Munching Caterpillars, a major new education project with schools funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- Sustained a high level of coverage in the media and used social media (Twitter and Facebook) to spread our message to a wider audience.
- Expanded our membership to 19,100, our highest ever, and maintained an excellent retention rate of 91%.
- BC volunteers contributed work worth £10 million during the year, equivalent to 726 full-time staff.
- Our Branches organised over 2,200 educational events across the UK, attended by over 20,000 people.
- Spent over £2.3million on our conservation programmes, 83% expenditure.
- Butterfly Conservation Europe published a series of reports on developing butterflies as indicators of biodiversity and lobbied for reform of the Common Agricultural Policy to support High Nature Value farming.
- Ran the largest ever direct mail campaign for Butterfly Conservation to date with the Match Pot Three Appeal generating around £150,000 through the generosity of our supporters.
Full details can be seen in our annual reports, reviews and accounts.