Join the Devon Branch on a work party on this Teignbridge Council owned nature reserve near Bovey Tracey, which holds a small population of Silver-studded Blue butterflies.
The site is being managed to try to increase the breeding area for this butterfly, which has involved mechanically scraping the ground to encourage pioneer heath which the species likes.
The work today will be raking up cuttings, removing Scots Pine saplings and cutting other young trees to keep the habitat open and warm.
- Bring gardening gloves and lunch
- Although tools should be available from the Teignbridge Ranger who will attend, cutting tools and rakes will be useful to bring along
Meet at 10.30am on Dragoon Close, Heathfield Industrial Estate, Grid ref. SX 824 764, nearest postcode TQ12 6FJ.
- From the A38 take the A382 towards Bovey Tracey
- About 100 metres along this road, turn right at the traffic lights into Battle Road
- After about 100 metres, turn left into Cavalier Road
- Drive along here for about 500 metres; Dragoon Close is on the left, just before the road bends to the right
For more information, or if you would like to attend, please contact the Devon Branch.