Day course - Identifying and surveying for butterflies and day-flying moths.
The day will provide an identification session on the butterflies and day flying moths of the Upper Thames area and then time talking about survey methods, with a practical session on transect technique.
- 09.45 - 10.15: Tea/coffee and biscuits
- 10.15 - 11.15: Identification of the butterflies of BBO
- 11.15 - 11.30: Tea/coffee and biscuits
- 11.30 - 11.45: A quick butterfly ID quiz
- 11.45 - 12.30: Separating moths into their families – a start to moth identification.
- 12.30 - 13.10: Conducting timed count and standardised surveys
- 13.10 - 13.45: Lunch (please bring a packed lunch, though tea/coffee/biscuits are provided)
- 13.45 - 15.30: Transect recording – why and how
- 15.30 - 15.45: A quick moth family quiz
- 15.45 - 16.00: Tea/coffee and biscuits
- 16.00 - 16.30: Record submission - and how it helps conservation
- 16.30 - 16.45: Closing remarks
Places are free and open to non-members of the Upper Thames Branch/Butterfly Conservation, but are subject to availability, so booking is essential - if you wish to attend, please email Nick Bowles at firstname.lastname@example.org. Nick may also be able to help if you are interested in car-sharing.
Venue: Howe Park Wood Education Centre, H7, Chaffron Way, Tattenhoe, Milton Keynes MK4 3GG. A car park charge applies at certain times, but not on Sundays.
For information on access via public transport, contact the Parks Trust by telephone: 01908 233600 or email: email@example.com.