Join the Herts & Middlesex Branch at the invitation of the Box Moor Trust for a morning walk to see spring butterflies including Dingy Skipper and day flying moths. This is also a good site for solitary bees and wasps, as well as having a significant array of wildflowers...
Depending on the weather and local reports that week, there may be another interesting Box Moor Trust site to visit nearby after lunch for an unguided foray for those who would like to make a day of it.
Meet at 10.30am in Bovingdon Brickworks car park, Grid ref: TL007032 [Landranger Map 165], nearest postcode HP3 0LA.
- Coming from the M25, leave at J20 onto A41 dual carriageway to Aylesbury
- Leave at the next junction at Bourne End
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit on to the A4251, heading east on London Road towards Boxmoor and Hemel Hempstead
- In about 1000 metres at the traffic lights, turn right at the Swan Antique Centre on to B4505 / Box Lane
- Drive straight on across mini roundabouts and a double roundabout (next to the Half Way House Pub) for a total of 2.7 miles
- Then take the main turn on the left to Ley Hill
- Be ready to turn immediately left again on to Green Lane
- In about 200 metres, you will see a gateway on the right - hidden in the hedge - where there is a small car park
The nearest station is Hemel Hempstead, approx. 3 miles (London Midland from London Euston) - a taxi to site would be about £8
- Most of the site is easy walking but the wilder bits has bramble that needs care to pass
- The site can be very muddy after rain, so appropriate footwear is advised
- There are a few steep sided dell holes (which do not have to be navigated), so if any children attend they need to be closely supervised
- Children are welcome at our events, but if under 16 they must be accompanied by at least one adult for two children. It is the responsibility of the accompanying adult(s) to ensure that the event is within the children's ability
Booking for this walk is essential as numbers will be restricted to 20 people.
Non-members are very welcome
For more information, or if you would like to attend, please contact Liz Goodyear, tel: 01920 487066 or email: email@example.com.
The Box Moor Trust reserve the right to cancel the event if weather conditions are considered unfavourable.