This course introduces the subject of butterflies and moths in a practical and enjoyable way and will include:
- An introduction to the differences between butterflies and moths and their classification
- Helpful identification hints for the commoner species
- A study of the scarce moths found in Yorkshire with illustrated slide shows
- Help and advice on ways of observing and recording Lepidoptera
- Expeditions to special habitats
Yorkshire is one of the most interesting counties in Britain for Lepidoptera, where 606 macro moth species have been recorded over the last 100 years, many of which are Nationally Scarce.
Tutor: David Brown, the Warwickshire county recorder for Lepidoptera and author of ‘The Larger Moths of Warwickshire’, has led successful courses at Malham Tarn over a number of years. A lecturer at Birmingham and Warwick Universities' Extramural and Open Studies departments for the past 25 years, he is an active field entomologist, co-operating with Natural England, Forest Enterprise and numerous Naturalist Trusts.
Cost: £345 (resident)
Venue: Malham Tarn Field Centre, Settle, North Yorkshire, BD24 9PU
For more information and to book a place on this course, visit the Field Studies Centre