Cumbria Members Day and AGM. Special 50th Anniversary Anniversary Event at RSPB Leighton Moss. Guided walk at Gait Barrows NNR
20 May 2018
We are pleased to announce that our Special BC 50th Anniversary Open day and AGM will be held at this spectacular wildlife site, with the indoor part of the day’s proceedings held in the Holt Room, which is behind the main building across the road from the car park.
The provisional programme follows but if the weather dictates, we may ‘flip’ the programme by taking the field trip immediately after the moth trap opening and the indoor events after lunch.
- 09:30-10:00 Open moth traps with opportunities for photography
- 10:45-11:30 An illustrated talk by Steve Benner on moths of the local area
- 11:45-12:30 An illustrated talk by Bill Grayson on conservation grazing at Gait Barrows and other local sites
- 12:30-13:00 A brief Annual General Meeting (members only) with the opportunity to ask questions of the Cumbria Branch Committee
- 13:00-13:45 Lunch Break. Possibilities of hot or cold food in the adjoining café, enjoying your own picnic lunch, bird-watching or browsing the RSPB shop. (Tea and coffee are available in the Holt Room throughout the day at £1 per cup.) Then reassemble in the car park at Gait Barrows National Nature Reserve [grid reference SD478775]. Car parking is limited, so please car share and offer lifts to those who have arrived by public transport.
- 14:00-about 16:00 Guided walk on the Reserve with target species of Duke of Burgundy, Pearl-bordered and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries, Brown Hairstreak larvae, White-spotted Sable Moth (Anania funebris).
This is our Premier Event of the year, so please come if you can! Non BC members welcome too!
Directions to Leighton Moss: Park in the RSPB car park next to Silverdale railway station [grid reference SD478750, satnav LA5 0SW]. Travel by train to Silverdale station, [journey planner at http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search]
For more information, contact Chris Winnick 01539 728254 or Martin Tordoff 01539 735935