Gift Aid - What is it?
Gift Aid is one of the simplest and most effective ways of giving to charity as it increases the value of your donations and membership subscriptions.
Butterfly Conservation can reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 you give - at no extra cost to you.
Last year we were able to reclaim over £100,000 from the Government in Gift Aid. This is a vital source of income for Butterfly Conservation and directly helps us to continue and expand our conservation work.
Gift Aid - Do you qualify?
To qualify for Gift Aid you must pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each Tax year (6 April one year to 5 April the next) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that Butterfly Conservation and any other charity that you donate to will reclaim on your gifts for that tax year.
You will be responsible for paying any shortfall between the amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax you pay and the amount of Gift Aid that is claimed on your charitable donations.
Other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify.It is worth noting that some people also pay tax on their pensions – if so you should receive a P60 in April or May each year which will show any tax deductions.
For us to claim Gift Aid on a £34 single membership subscription you must pay at least £8.50 in tax during the year (for a joint membership subscription of £38 you must pay at least £9.50 in tax per year).If you don’t pay tax but your partner does then he/she can tick the Gift Aid box provided you have a joint or family membership and the subscription is paid either from your partner’s account or from a jointly held account.
Gift Aid - How does it work?
Gift Aid is surprisingly easy to use. Gift Aid can apply to donations and subscriptions of any amount, large or small, by cash, cheque, postal order, direct debit, standing order, debit or credit card.
One single Gift Aid declaration can apply to all past donations you have made in the last four years and to all future donations you make until you notify us otherwise.
Gift Aid – how to do it
If you are a UK taxpayer please download and complete the simple Gift Aid declaration form below and return to us or call our office on 01929 406015 to made a verbal declaration.
If you are not a UK taxpayer please download the Gift Aid declaration form and tick the appropriate box on the form and return to us or phone 01929 406015 and we will know not to ask you about gift aid again in the future.
NB: Please note the following requirements of the Gift Aid scheme:
1. To qualify for Gift Aid you must pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year (6 April one year to 5 April the next) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that Butterfly Conservation and all other charities will reclaim on your gifts for that tax year. Other taxes such as VAT and Council tax do not qualify.
2. Please tell Butterfly Conservation if you change your name or address.
3. You can cancel the declaration at any time by notifying Butterfly Conservation – it will not apply to donations you make on or after the date of cancellation or such later date as you specify.
4. Remember to tell us if you no longer pay an amount of income tax or capital gains tax equal to the tax we and other charities reclaim on your donation or membership subscription.
5. You will be responsible for paying any shortfall between the amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax you pay and the amount of Gift Aid that is claimed on your charitable donations.6. If you pay tax at the higher rate you can claim further tax relief in your self-assessment tax return.