Thursday 19th July 2018
South of Whitchurch, Shropshire
Join the West Midlands Branch of Butterfly Conservation at their Prees Heath Common butterfly reserve to take part in a Bioblitz. The results of the bioblitz will be recorded and will help measure the rise and fall in numbers of different species on the site in the future.
- 8.00am: Opening the moth traps, led by Dave Grundy. Meet at the concrete plinth 100 metres from the reserve gates.
- 8.00am: Small mammal trap opening, led by Stuart Edmunds. Meet at the reserve entrance gates.
- 10.00am: Bird identification walk, led by John Campbell and Estelle Hughes. Meet at the reserve entrance gates. Bring binoculars if you have some.
- 12 noon: Grasshopper & cricket walk, led by Andy Cherrill. Meet in the marquee.
- 2.00pm: Pondlife, led by Clive & Jacki Dyer. Meet at the pond.
- 3.30pm: Butterfly & day-flying macro-moth identification walk, led by Lucy Lewis & Gavin Woodman. Meet in the marquee.
All these events are public events and are free of charge – just turn up and find out about the creatures that live on the reserve. You are also very welcome to record wildlife on your own or with friends. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Wear appropriate clothing and footwear. Please be aware that there are many rabbit holes on the reserve, as well as dog mess.
A marquee, tables, chairs and portaloos will be available near the concrete plinth. Light refreshments (squash, water and cake) will be in the marquee. Please pass all your records to our recorder-in-chief in the marquee. Various identification guides will be on hand in the marquee.
To find out more about this event, including the start time, please contact reserve warden Stephen Lewis, by emailing email@example.com or calling: 07900 886809.
The reserve lies between the A49 and the A41 two miles south of Whitchurch. Access to the reserve can be gained via a track off the A49 opposite the turning to Steel Heath.
Parking is available at the truckstop car park (pay & display) at the roundabout juntion of the A41 and A49, just north of the reserve. The short walk onto the reserve involves crossing the busy A49.
Nearest post code is SY13 3LA
OS Grid Reference: SJ 557 363 OS.