This year (2019) there will be three categories:
- UK Butterflies
Any butterfly species photographed in the UK (includes eggs, larva, pupa and pairs). Excludes any captive bred stock or any found in butterfly houses.
- UK Moths
Any moth species photographed in the UK (includes eggs, larva, pupa and pairs). Excludes any captive bred stock.
- European Butterflies & Moths
Any butterfly or moth photographed in a European country outside the UK (includes eggs, larva, pupa and pairs). Excludes any captive bred stock or any found in butterfly houses.
- Entry is open to all Kent Branch members. A maximum of two photos may be entered into each of the three categories. Entry will close at the end of the AGM section of our members’ day. No late entries will be accepted.
- Only prints will be accepted. Please make sure your entries are no bigger than A5. Larger pictures may be displayed but will not be judged.
- In the grounds of fair competition, digital camera photos may be cropped and sharpened, but not manipulated further by a computer.
- Every entry must show the entrant’s name/initials and species name on the back.
- Members must collect any photos entered at the end of the day as unfortunately we cannot return any uncollected entries.
- Winners agree that the branch can use their photo(s) for branch publication (newsletter & website)
How the competition will work:
During the lunch break, members will have the opportunity to vote. Each entry will be numbered.
Members will vote for their favourite photo from each of the three categories and their overall favourite photo from the UK Butterflies, UK Moths and European Butterflies & Moths categories.
Votes will be cast by completing a voting slip (there will be a different colour for each category) and posting it into the voting box.
At the end of lunch all voting will be closed and the votes counted. Each category will have a 1st, 2nd & 3rd place, with certificates being awarded. The overall favourite photo will be published on the front cover of the next edition of the Kent Branch newsletter. All other 1st place winners (from the three categories) will have their photo published in the newsletter.
If any member wishes to display their photos for attendees to just view there will be a table available. Any photos on this table will not be included in the competition.
General Information & Disclaimer
For more information about the photographic competition please contact Ben Kirby. The Kent Branch committee accepts no liability for the loss or damage of any entries.