Woodlands are an important habitat for some of our most threatened butterflies and moths, many woodland species have declined due to a cessation of suitable woodland management.
Our woodland management downloads and factsheets provide a wealth of information for anyone involved in all aspects of woodland management for Lepidoptera.
Woodland Management for Butterflies and Moths: A Best Practice Guide
Our woodland management guide draws on thirty years of research and experience of woodland management and is an essential tool for anyone managing woodlands who wishes to provide habitats for butterflies and moths. The woodland management guide can be downloaded as PDF in three parts by clicking on the links below.
Part one provides a background to woodland management and an overview of the different types of woodland and the Lepidoptera they support.
Part two is a guide to best practice management for woodland Lepidoptera and is illustrated with case studies. Part two also contains detailed advice on managing coppice, rides, glades (and wayleaves), Bracken habitats, woodland edges, grazed woodland, high forest, wet woods, deadwood and veteran trees. There is also guidance on deer and game management.
Part three includes a table on habitat features and principal foodplants for a variety of woodland Lepidoptera. There are also advice pages for specific woodland butterflies (further management advice can be found on the species factsheets).
Additional publications and websites which can help provide more information on managing woodlands.
Woodland Management Factsheets:
- Woodlands for Butterflies and Moths: Compiled for East Anglia, but provides a general overview on woodland Lepidoptera and some simple things woodland managers can do for Lepidoptera.
- Woodland Scallop factsheet: A guide to creating a butterfly-friendly woodland scallops.
- Hedgerows for Hairstreaks: A guide to managing hedgerows (and woodland edges) for Brown Hairstreak butterflies, further advice can be found on specific species factsheets.
- Aspen Factsheet (Populus tremula)
- Goldenrod Factsheet (Solidago virgaurea)
- Sweet Chestnut Factsheet (Castanea sativa)